Sunday, May 8, 2011

Throw Our Hands In The Air

And now for a totally cliched post on Mother's Day.

I understand how hard it is for a woman to raise her children especially in times like these, when both parents are usually working. To make time for both work and spending time with the children is somewhat demanding. I can never seem to grasp the understanding of how a mother of 2 (or maybe more) can juggle responsibilities between a 2 year old toddler and a newborn. My question is how?! How is it possible to care for an attention-seeking, probably babbling, wailing toddler AND a crying newborn having to nurse, care and change regularly because they don't always smell like milk and baby talcum.

Which brings me to my first point. I have made up my mind that IF and WHEN I do decide to get married and have children, well it would not be plural. A child. Singular. 9 months of carrying something growing inside of you, sucking up your nutrients, making you swell up. Hey, it sounds like I'm describing a tumour. And to remove this growing thing, by either normal birth of Cesarean birth, is another Herculean task. To raise that growing and living thing, being entirely responsible for another life. To make sure he or she gets a good education, a roof over his/her head, clothing, food on the table. That's not it. The regular medical check-ups, insurance, baby food.. Have you seen the cost of baby formula?

My friends argue saying my kid would be lonely and lack social skills. Well, not if my sister has her kids and I'd just put my child there. Arrange play-dates with other children. There. Problem solved. He or she shall be very social despite being an only child.

This post is merely to highlight how much I realise our parents put into raising us. It's like an investment with no sight of a return- just full of risk. Kinda like gambling huh? I have no idea how my mum managed my sister and I but I thank God she did well. I mean, look at us. We not screwed up :D

Bev's not that tall actually. I'm bending a little to achieve the almost-same-height look

So mum, I know you won't read this anytime soon but maybe if and when you do come across this, know that Bev would be the one providing lots and lots of grandkids. Not me.

Signing out,
pink-narwhals

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHA d'awwww!!! hahaha pity Bev.... but totally nice entry hehehe... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. good gameplan. i'm borrowing it! oh, but i don't have a sister to park my kid with.......can i park it with bev's also? :B

    ReplyDelete