Misery- The Maine
Abigail Dayang Nathan. That is my real name. My eyes, high nose bridge and skin colour all indicate I am of Indian descent but that does not give you any right to judge who I am and what I should do. No right to tell me what festival I should celebrate, what language I should speak or even what food I should like and know how to cook.
I am not just Indian. I am also part native Sarawakian and I have lived in Kuching for some time. This again does not give you any right to judge who I am and what I should do. Because I am part native Sarawakian, don't you dare talk about how "privileged" I am in certain areas. I am also not your teacher to educate you on the dynamics and geography of Sarawak. Educate yourselves on the people, the place, the culture and most of all, know that we indeed have indoor plumbing and internet access. And don't get me started on mobile phone services in Sarawak versus Peninsula.
Don't you dare make me choose which race I should follow. I refuse to go by your rules to favour one over the other. They are both part of me and if you can't accept that fact then you, my dear, are racist.
Signing out,
dandelions
No comments:
Post a Comment