Sunday, November 7, 2010

Amie

Truth be told, I have trouble sleeping nowadays. It's like reality just came crashing down forcing me to take a good look in the mirror (no, not the vanity mirror) and wonder "What is to become of me?"

For a second there I'm reminded of the movie 'My Fair Lady'. That is one of my all-time favorite movies and I never get tired of it. Songs like 'Wouldn't it be lovely?', 'With a little bit of luck', 'Just you wait' and 'On the street where you live' are just evergreen and I doubt I'll ever get tired of listening to them over and over again.

Notice the time this is posted? General insomnia is getting to me. Not a very nice feeling but I refuse to sleep early and getting up late is just fine. Why, Abigail? Why?

Repetition then reminds my of the book Artemis Fowl- Atlantis Complex. The protagonist now finds himself in a little more trouble than he ought to be. I mean, here Arty was, a criminal mastermind with a mental disorder. What a strange idea you have there, Mr Colfer. I've decided (against my will) to abandon that book for greener pastures. More like dead, dry grass with weeds chocking seedlings. Oh woe.

The title of this post is actually a song I recently discovered. Amie. It means friend in French. Sung by Damien Rice, this song has a very calming effect with what sounds like an orchestra of stringed instruments keeping me company as I write this. Knowing me, it's played on loop. I kid you not. It is played repetitively. Over and over again. It looks like I'm over Taylor Swift's album. But I doubt it. This is just another seasonal song.

Speaking of the seasons, I don't particularly like the weather here. It's hot and when it rains, it's like the rain clouds just decided to tease us poor, suffering inhabitants of Shah Alam. If anything, I blame global climate change. There was a time when Shah Alam was known for raining ever now and then. Now, the weather's so dry the dried leaves that fall to the ground have a nice crunchy sound when you step on them. *crunch* Yep, that's the sound of global warming alright.

Thinking about global warming and it's effects is actually very scary compared to when I thought about it a while ago. Maybe it's because of the sudden rise in the number of movies talking about the Apocalypse like 2012 and The Day After Tomorrow. Either way, National Geographic has her way of tugging at my heartstrings every time they show a particular animal species affected by global warming. And then there's the books. I really do appreciate it when authors come up with books that are not only interesting but they highlight things like world peace, climate change, ethnic cleansing among others. Maybe Stephanie Meyer could take a hint or two and produce something like that other than a lovestruck teenager and her irrational obsession of being immortal. I mean, that could probably give her back some dignity that she lost when Twilight was published. See, I'm not against Twilight. I'm against the values in Twilight. Under the 'teenage angst and romance' surface, there's just some things I don't agree on. We're looking at pedophilia, obsession, rage, and basically how Bella is portrayed as weak and how she needs Edward like she needs oxygen. When Edward leaves her, she goes looking for Jacob. Interesting, no? I mean that basically translates to being a (pardon the word) bitch.

I look back and marvel at my amazing abilities to jump from one topic to another. It's a gift :D

Signing out,
two-more-weeks-baybeh!

No comments:

Post a Comment