Yea, I know what you're thinking. 5am and it's called overslept? Well, I was supposed to leave the house at 5am then reach the airport at 6.30am to check-in early and get the emergency seats for bigger leg room and have breakfast with dad and then take my sweet time to the departure gate at 7.40am.
BUT..
Since I overslept, we left the house at 5.45am, reached the airport at 6.40am, checked-in and breakfast, hugged dad and went through immigrations.
Looking at my boarding pass, it was circled "Gate P7". So I made my way to P7 only to find that it's for those going to Langkawi. Cursing Air Asia inwardly, I walked looking like I owned the place and looked for flight AK 5202. There it was- gate P10. Muttering under my breath, I sat down and wondered where is everyone? P10 was practically deserted. I switched on my laptop and proceeded to read a book when I felt my phone vibrate. Mum. After a long chat with her, I looked up at the LED board. It no longer showed Kuching. Instead it was bound to Surabaya!
What just happened? With a stoic face, I picked up my bag and ducked into the nearest shop. Pretending to look at the expiry date of the bread [of all things], I scanned the nearest gates for their details. Lo and behold. Gate P7 [again] bound to Kuching and it's what? I squint my eyes a little. Is boarding? Oh shoot!
I hurriedly replaced the bread back onto the shelves and sauntered to the accursed gate. Within 5 minutes, we were making our way to the aircraft. Damn Air Asia and their stinginess. No nose bridge meaning we had to walk all the way from the main terminal to the plane. Glancing at my boarding pass, I looked for my seat. 9D. YES! Aisle seat! Not bothering to make small talk with my neighbour, I tried to make myself comfortable with the small leg room and the sun shining right in my eyes.
The flight was good and as comfortable as it could get. I mean, if Air Asia wasn't so stingy, we'd have bigger leg room but that would mean less passengers per airbus. But hey, it's not like Mr. Tony is my godfather or anything.
Upon landing, the pilot did announce that we'd have to wait for the seat belt sign to be turned off then we're allowed to stand and collect our bags from the overhead compartment. But no. Malaysians just can't wait. As soon as the plane stopped, everyone stood up. It's like as if the plane would take off to the next destination leaving them stranded in the plane. Since I was in the aisle seat, I kept seated causing my already-standing neighbours to flash me a smile masking the annoyance. I smiled back saying "aren't Malaysians so impatient? The seat belt sign is not even turned off", I pointed to the little sign above us. They smiled back, this time slightly embarrassed and sat down. People around me were still trying to reach their bags from the overhead compartment and to make matters worse, the door is still not opened. With to many people in the aisles and no room to move, these idiots are still attempting to reach out and flail their arms around like a drowning goose and after 3 or 4 tries, they give up. I tried so hard not to burst out laughing at their antics.
After 3 gruelling minutes, the door finally opened and the people in the aisle dashed out. It was like as if they were competing in Amazing Race or something. I took my sweet time getting out of my seat and out of the plane, pausing to thank the stewardesses.
As soon as my feet touched the ground, I started smiling. Smiling so wide my muscles actually ached after a while. With a spring in my step, I made my way to the immigrations department. The poor guy looked like he had a bad day. I walked up to him and smiled. "Good morning!" I greeted him and immediately he looked happier. With a few taps of the keyboard, he gave me back my IC and said "Welcome back to Kuching". He has no idea how much that made me feel.
Making my way to the baggage carousel, I felt light-headed. Partly because I slept at 1.30am and woke up at 5am and also because I was finally home. Taking a trolley from the bay, I set my laptop bag down and sat on the trolley. People were staring at me but I couldn't care less. A little girl saw me and she proceeded to sit down like I did. Upon claiming my luggage, I walked out of Kuching International Airport feeling like I was finally home.
Signing out,
now-everyone's-a-fly!
No comments:
Post a Comment