Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Joy To The Fishes In The Deep Blue Sea

My first exposure to an A-Level math paper brought back a lot of memories.

As I picked up my pen and started on the first few questions, I was immediately teleported back to the first time I set my eyes on an Additional Mathematics (or more affectionately known as Add Math paper) in Form 4.

I wouldn't say it was excruciatingly hard but all the while, I heard my voice at the back of my head. The one-sided conversation went a little like this:

"Hmmm.. A 'proving' question. Whoa, the equation is so long. I wonder if I could take this logarithm out and multiply..yes.. It works. Okay, proven."

*looks at clock*

"Oh dang", I cursed under my breath, just loud enough for my neighbour to glance at me. I flashed her a smile and picked up the pace for the next question.

"Sketch the graph of.. Oh crap, I forgot how to complete the square! Let me see.. Oh there, I got it. Phew. Now to draw the graph."

*glances at clock*

I winced internally as I read the next question. "Find the discriminant of.. Wait, what is a discriminant? A discriminating number? Why does that number discriminate other numbers? Is it racist? Not wait, numbers can't be racist. I know! It's a number-ist!" I did a little happy dance in my head because I made up a new term when my subconscious said "Why in heaven's gates and hell's flames are you rejoicing? Get back to work!"

"You have 10 more minutes."

"Oh dang I..wait, I'm comple.. DONE!" I smile triumphantly willing my exam paper to groan for I have defeated the evil monster of a paper, slayed it's many heads like Hercules did to the Hydra, the mythical creature (not the one in Biology) and in it's dying moments, bequeath its worldly possessions which includes a mansion and an Olympic-sized pool complete with a private jet and a tropical island somewhere in the Bahamas.

Then it all came to a screeching halt, with enough G-force to cause spontaneous abortion. "HOW IN THE WORLD DID I GET THIS EQUATION EFF-ED UP?!" *looks at clock* "Oh sweet mother Earth and gravity that holds everything in place, please please allocate me enough time to chan-" "Time's up! Stop writing."

Oh Sh_t.

Signing out,
screwed-up

No comments:

Post a Comment